Games for athletic dogs
Thursday March 31st, 2011
- Agility combines obedience with athleticism, with the dogs following a course that goes under, over, and through obstacles and jumps. The U.S. Dog Agility Association website can help you get started.
- Flyball is a timed relay race that involves jumping hurdles and retrieving a ball--nirvana for high-energy, ball-obsessed dogs. Get more info here.
- Frisbee lets your dog work off steam with just a little effort from you. Just be sure to get a disc that's made for dogs, with padded edges and cloth material.
Other fun stuff:
- Try freestyle, also known as dancing with your dog. This is an organized sport, believe it or not. But you don't need an audience or judges--just your dog and that old Grease soundtrack. But if you want to show off your moves in public, you can find events on the World Canine Freestyle Organization website.
- Hike, rollerblade, or go on a bike ride with your pooch; just be sure to protect him from traffic and overexertion.
- Visit a dog park and let his canine pals give him a workout.
- Play dog soccer. Roll a large ball toward your dog and tell him, "Get it!" If he noses or paws at the ball, give him lots of praise. He'll soon get the idea.
Fun & games for other dogs:
latest news & articles
offers from our sponsors