The dog days of summer are usually the hottest days of the year, but you may be wondering why we refer to them as the “dog days” and when they happen. What do our beloved canine companions have to do with the warm weather?
July is National Blueberry Month, and it’s a great time to celebrate the tiny, tasty, refreshing fruits that can be enjoyed by humans and canines alike. Blueberries really are a super food, and they’re especially delicious on a hot summer day.
The 4th of July is a time for the people of America to come together and celebrate their Independence Day. But our dogs want to get in on the fun sometimes, too. These dogs are happy to have some summer fun and enjoy the holiday with their best friends.
Fluoxetine is an antidepressant and anti-anxiety drug for dogs that is often referred to by the brand names Reconcile or Prozac — the human form of the drug. Here is what you should know about the uses, dosage, and side effects of fluoxetine in dogs.
July is National Lost Pet Prevention Month and serves as an important reminder to make sure your pet stays safe and does not get lost. Even if you believe you’re the safest pet parent in the world, it’s always smart to make sure you have a checklist to prevent your pet from getting lost, just in case.
What’s extremely important for dog parents on the 4th of July is to make sure that our dogs have updated tags and collars. It’s especially important this holiday because July 5th is the busiest day of the year for animal shelters.
Latest News and Reviews
Some dog owners claims that CBD helps their dogs with a host of medical conditions. Others hear that CBD comes from marijuana plants and immediately become wary of these products. Is CBD oil safe for dogs? Here’s what you should know.
Hyperthermia and heat stroke in dogs are conditions characterized by elevated body temperatures beyond the normal range. If you see the signs of hyperthermia or heat stroke in your dog, it is important that you take steps to cool your dog and consult your veterinarian right away.
Help Pass The ‘One Health Act’ To Fight Diseases Like COVID-19 In Humans & Our Animal Friends: Dr. Dana Varble, DVM, Explains
The One Health Act legislation is an effort to unify research and advancements to stop disease spread. It’s especially relevant now for zoonotic diseases like COVID-19. Dr. Dana Varble, NAVC’s Chief Veterinary Officer, tells us why she has been such a champion for the act.
As a responsible dog parent, you probably take steps to make sure your pup is safe and as relaxed as possible on Independence Day, but there are some things that are done with the best intentions that end up making dogs’ 4th of July fears worse.
Summer has officially started, and the dog days will be here again before you know it. July is National Beat The Heat Month — a reminder to us all to keep our pups cool on these hot summer days. Here are a few pups who won’t let anything stop them from staying cool while being cool.
Diazepam, sometimes known by the brand name Valium, is a drug that can be used in dogs as an anti-anxiety medication, a muscle relaxant, a treatment for seizures, and medicine for other conditions. Here’s what you should know.
What you can find here on DogTime
- At DogTime, our mission is to keep dogs out of shelters and get them adopted to good homes by providing novice and experienced owners alike with the important information needed to make them, and their dogs, very happy and healthy.
- DogTime covers all things dog. Our extensive pure- and mixed-breed profiles include the history and evaluation of various dog breed characteristics--such as behaviors, shedding, adaptability--and what they mean for a potential owner.
- For those looking to take the plunge and adopt a four-legged friend, take the matchup quiz and questionnaire to find the pooch who best fits your lifestyle and interests. You can even check local shelters in your zip code using our adoption page. And don't forget the extensive lists of dog names by breed, theme, and other categories.
- We also feature expert advice on a variety of topics, including training, raising puppies, housetraining, dog health, product reviews, and more, with answers provided by notable and respected veterinarians, trainers, behaviorists, pet lovers, and specialists.
- For more relaxed fare, the dog video and dog picture pages are stocked with videos and images of everything from funny and cute dogs to how-to's, product reviews, and training.
- Make sure and check the homepage for breaking news articles and features covering the latest happenings in the dog world, product and food recalls, important legislation, and other information that impacts dog owners.