Brachycephalic dogs are adorable. That’s hard to deny. So why should it be a problem when breeders continue to produce these dogs to meet demand? Well, those cute, smushed faces come at a price, and not just in terms of how much money it costs to buy a dog from a breeder.
Maybe you just don’t have the financial means, or maybe you live with an allergy sufferer. Well don’t worry, there are plenty of ways you can hang out with dogs and take on plenty of dog-related chores–I mean opportunities–that you can ask your dog owning friends and neighbors about.
The answer to that question is technically yes, you can give Pepto Bismol to your dog, but NOT without asking your veterinarian, first. In many circumstances, it can make your dog sicker, it can mask signs of severe illness, and it can be difficult to determine a safe dosage.
Hypoglycemia in dogs is the condition of having low blood sugar, which results in symptoms that mostly relate to an affected dog’s energy level. When it becomes severe, hypoglycemia can cause pain, seizures, loss of consciousness, and even death in canines.
It’s important that we don’t shame people who consider returning their dog to the shelter, but instead give them resources and encouragement that might help them realize that they can take steps to keep their pup. Here are some ways to deal with problems before you return your dog to the shelter.
When it comes to the question, “Can dogs eat grapes?” there is a simple answer. It’s an unequivocal NO. Raisins and grapes are very toxic for all dog breeds. Even if your dog has eaten grapes before without issue, it’s still not safe. Adverse reactions could still happen the next time.
Latest News and Reviews
Urinary tract infection (UTI) in dogs is a condition that affects the bladder, upper urethra, or both. Symptoms of a UTI in dogs are especially visible during urination and often include feeling the need to urinate frequently even though little to no urine is released.
Ursodiol for dogs is a bile acid used to treat liver disease and dissolve or prevent gallstones. It is also known by the brand names Actigall and Urso. Dogs usually tolerate it well, but some side effects can occur. Here’s what you should know.
As much as you might like to bring your dog on your travels, sometimes it’s just not possible or practical. And you may have used up all your pet-sitting favors from family and friends. It might be time to go shopping for dog kennels.
Dog aggression toward other dogs is a very serious matter. Even if physical contact is never made, managing a dog who’s pulling and lunging on-leash is very difficult–not to mention stressful for all parties–and attempting to defuse an attack in progress is downright dangerous.
Pneumonia in dogs is a condition that affects the respiratory system, including the lungs and airways that allow dogs to breathe. This results in several symptoms that usually disappear with proper treatment, though if it’s not treated, it can lead to serious complications.
Azathioprine for dogs is a drug that suppresses the immune system, which is useful in treatment for various disorders and autoimmune diseases of the skin, blood, or other areas of the body. It is only available with a prescription. Here’s what you should know.
What you can find here on DogTime
- At DogTime, our mission is to keep dogs out of shelters and get them adopted to good homes by providing novice and experienced owners alike with the important information needed to make them, and their dogs, very happy and healthy.
- DogTime covers all things dog. Our extensive pure- and mixed-breed profiles include the history and evaluation of various dog breed characteristics--such as behaviors, shedding, adaptability--and what they mean for a potential owner.
- For those looking to take the plunge and adopt a four-legged friend, take the matchup quiz and questionnaire to find the pooch who best fits your lifestyle and interests. You can even check local shelters in your zip code using our adoption page. And don't forget the extensive lists of dog names by breed, theme, and other categories.
- We also feature expert advice on a variety of topics, including training, raising puppies, housetraining, dog health, product reviews, and more, with answers provided by notable and respected veterinarians, trainers, behaviorists, pet lovers, and specialists.
- For more relaxed fare, the dog video and dog picture pages are stocked with videos and images of everything from funny and cute dogs to how-to's, product reviews, and training.
- Make sure and check the homepage for breaking news articles and features covering the latest happenings in the dog world, product and food recalls, important legislation, and other information that impacts dog owners.