When you fall in love with a dog and bring him home, visits from the police or trips to the lawyer couldn't be further from your mind. But like many things in life, owning dogs comes with some legal responsibilities. You owe it to yourself, and your new charge, to know and adhere to the laws in your community.
Most read stories in this section
- Dogs and cats no longer considered property in France
The French parliament has decided that pets are not property, but are living beings with feelings.
- Florida lawmakers push to protect racing dogs
Proposed Florida legislation would de-couple Greyhound racing from gambling at tracks.
All stories in this section
- 12 strange animal laws
A list of 12 strange laws that are designed to protect animals in 7 American states.
- Animal Law: an introduction
Over the past 20 years, Animal Law has become more popular and has earned legitimacy as an area...
- Best and worst states for animal protection laws in 2011
Find out which states were rated the best and worst in the ALDF’s annual report.
- Best and worst states for animal protection laws in 2012
The Animal Legal Defense Fund has released its 2012 report on animal cruelty laws.
- Best and worst states for animal protection laws in 2013
A review of the results from the 2013 Animal Legal Defense Fund that ranks animal-protection laws.
- Chicago’s anti-puppy mill legislation goes countywide
The Cook County Board voted unanimously to ban the sale of cats, dogs, and rabbits, in pet stores.
- Dog barking: How to deal with an incessantly barking dog
Every night, when you're about to drift off to sleep, it starts. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof......
- Landlords and pets: What to know before you sign a lease
- Make arrangements for companions while you can
Estate planning is important for a variety of reasons, including the care of your pets.
- Man under investigation for tattooing his Pit Bull
A tattoo artist could face animal cruelty charges for tattooing his Pit Bull dog.
- The fight over a dog bite
If your dog has never been bitten by another dog, consider yourselves lucky. Dog bites happen every...
- Who gets the dog after a divorce?
Dog Laws Experts Questions and Answers
latest news & articles
offers from our sponsors