When you fall in love with a dog and bring him home, visits from the police or trips to the lawyer couldn't be further from your mind. But like many things in life, owning dogs comes with some legal responsibilities. You owe it to yourself, and your new charge, to know and adhere to the laws in your community.
Most read stories in this section
- Kentucky legislature introduces bill expanding penalties for dog fighting
Kentucky’s House Bill 154 seeks to strengthen dog-fighting laws in that state.
- Deceased pet parent’s initial wishes are honored
A German Shepherd dog was to be euthanized, as specified in his owner’s will.
All stories in this section
- 12 strange animal laws
A list of 12 strange laws that are designed to protect animals in 7 American states.
- Animal Law: an introduction
Over the past 20 years, Animal Law has become more popular and has earned legitimacy as an area...
- Best and worst states for animal protection laws in 2011
Find out which states were rated the best and worst in the ALDF’s annual report.
- Best and worst states for animal protection laws in 2012
The Animal Legal Defense Fund has released its 2012 report on animal cruelty laws.
- Best and worst states for animal protection laws in 2013
A review of the results from the 2013 Animal Legal Defense Fund that ranks animal-protection laws.
- Best and worst states for animal protection laws in 2014
The ALDF’s 2014 study that ranks U.S. states according to animal cruelty laws.
- Chicago’s anti-puppy mill legislation goes countywide
The Cook County Board voted unanimously to ban the sale of cats, dogs, and rabbits, in pet stores.
- Dog barking: How to deal with an incessantly barking dog
Every night, when you're about to drift off to sleep, it starts. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof. Woof......
- Dog grooming bill would regulate the trade in New Jersey
New Jersey lawmakers are considering legislation that would regulate pet groomers.
- Dogs and cats no longer considered property in France
The French parliament has decided that pets are not property, but are living beings with feelings.
- Florida lawmakers push to protect racing dogs
Proposed Florida legislation would de-couple Greyhound racing from gambling at tracks.
- Joint custody of the family pet?
Matrimony lawyers are seeing an increase in custody issues over pet dogs and cats.
- Landlords and pets: What to know before you sign a lease
- Make arrangements for companions while you can
Estate planning is important for a variety of reasons, including the care of your pets.
- Man under investigation for tattooing his Pit Bull
A tattoo artist could face animal cruelty charges for tattooing his Pit Bull dog.
- More states crack down on selling puppies
A bill in New Jersey puts new restrictions on puppy mill dogs and pet retail stores.
- New York says no to pet tattoos and piercing
Thanks to a new law, pet owners can no longer tattoo their animals in the state of New York.
- New law requires out-of-state sellers to submit health certificates for imported dogs
AB 1809 mandates all dog importers whose canines enter the state have health certificates.
- The fight over a dog bite: 7 ways to protect you and your pup
- Who gets the dog after a divorce?
Dog Laws Experts Questions and Answers
latest news & articles
offers from our sponsors