Help! My Dog Ate Makeup! What Should I Do?

Dog being checked out by vet

(Image Credit: Getty Images/Mordolff)

For pet parents who wear makeup, this may be an inevitability. Accidents happen, and sometimes our dogs eat things they shouldn’t. So what do you do when your dog eats your makeup?

Most often, dogs get access to makeup or makeup supplies, such as beauty blenders and brushes, through an improperly secured trash bin. Other times, they may be clever enough to reach where you store your makeup.

However your dog got a hold of it, the fact of the matter is that your pet may now have swallowed something dangerous. What’s the best course of action to take in such an event?

First of all, if you suspect that your pet may be in danger, always take them to visit a professional veterinarian. Here are a few things to remember if your dog swallowed makeup.

Determine What Kind Of Makeup They Ate

If possible, try to identify what your dog ate. Knowing this may be the difference between an emergency vet visit and a regular vet visit.

It’s important to note that most cosmetics are not toxic. Unless your pet has ingested a gratuitous amount, you’ll likely only need to keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t have a severe reaction. However, some products, like beauty blenders, can be more dangerous.

Just recently, my own dog, Chance, completely ate one without my knowledge. Fortunately, he managed to throw it up. This may not be the case for other dogs though. Beauty blenders, or makeup sponges, can clog the gastrointestinal tract and cause major health issues for your dog, even if they’re swallowed in pieces.

If you suspect your pet may have eaten one, be careful to observe how often they defecate. Check their stool to see if you can find traces of the sponge. If they are having trouble passing their food or not passing it at all, it’s definitely time for a vet visit.

The Dangers Of Makeup Tools With Pets

make up brushes and beauty blender on table

(Image Credit: Getty Images/fotodrobik)

If your pet hasn’t ingested any makeup, but instead ate a makeup tool, this is a bigger issue.

Much like with the blender, ensure you get your pet to a clinic right away if you suspect they’ve eaten any of these things:

  • Mascara sticks
  • Brushes
  • Eyeliner pens
  • Makeup pencils
  • Lipstick tubes (not necessarily the lipstick, itself)
  • Any plastic applicators or containers

These can cause serious damage to your pet’s internal organs. Again, it’s not so much the concentration of makeup on these items, but the damage they can cause.

Brushes with wood handles or eyeliner pencils can splinter as your dog chews and swallows them. The plastic in mascara sticks can do the same.

It is important to note that there are plenty of things in a regular bathroom that can harm pets and even young children. Risks are not limited to the items discussed in this article.

Always keep an emergency number on hand when there is a risk of poisoning in the household. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center phone number is (888) 426-4435. You may be charged for the call, but it’s worth it if your dog’s life is on the line. You can also call your emergency vet.

Has your dog ever eaten swallowed makeup or makeup products? How did you handle it? Let us know in the comments below!

Related Articles:

Garden Chemical and Pets: How To Keep Your Dog Safe

10 Of The Most Common Ways Dogs Are Accidentally Poisoned