If there's one thing dogs and humans have in common, it's that you won't find a member of either group who's perfect. And think about it: you wouldn't want to. Consider your favorite people—part of what renders them so endearing are their quirks, complexities, and funny habits. The same goes for your pets; their idiosyncrasies are what make them lovable and unique.
That said, you do want your dog to be a well-behaved, self-assured, and respectful member of the family. Setting expectations and establishing clear communication helps ensure a truly happy coexistence.
Most read stories in this section
All stories in this section
- 10 dog bite prevention basics
Body language, teaching your dog to sit, how to feed the pooch a treat, and more.
- 25 pictures of public dog shaming
A compilation of 25 pictures of dog misbehavior as relayed via public shaming.
- 5 ways to show your dog love
- Adorable rescue cow believes she is a dog
A rescued cow named Milkshake believes she is a dog and behaves just like a canine.
- Animal behavior: Like baby, like dog
A new report suggests that dogs and babies comprehend their owner's nonverbal communication.
- Choosing a good dog trainer
Learn how to spot a good dog trainer and the many benefits of formal dog training.
- Didn’t see that bite coming? Look a little harder
Recognizing telltale signs of a dog bite is the key to preventing such incidents from occurring.
- Dispelling shelter dog myths: Myth #2
The second myth about shelter dogs, how they are raised, is debunked in our four-part series.
- Do dogs experience jealousy?
According to a new study, dogs may also have feelings of jealousy (just like humans).
- Do's and Dont's of Take Your Dog To Work Day
Take Your Dog to Work Day is on June 20; here’s what to do (and not to do).
- Dog Toy Gifts
Five gift suggestions for your dog this holiday season, including fetch and chew toys.
- Dog behavior solutions: Chewing
A single chewing mistake can be extremely expensive. I think the Canine Chewing World Record...
- Dog behavior solutions: Housesoiling
Whether housebreaking a new puppy or resolving an existing problem in an older dog, the routine is...
- Dog behavior solutions: Jumping up
Jumping-up is primarily a problem of adolescent and adult dogs. Puppies jump-up, but owners rarely...
- Dog behavior solutions: Not coming when called
When dogs fail to come when called their behavior falls into one of two categories: active or passive...
- Dog chasing
Chasing can create dangerous situations for your dog and his target. Curb your dog's chasing
- Dog digging
- Dog greetings: What's really going on
- Dog owners: It’s okay to ask for help
Trouble with an overwhelming dog? In some situations it doesn’t hurt to ask for help.
- Dog plays fetch with himself
Cute video of an adorable small dog who has learned the art of “solo catch.”
- Dog saves baby from abusive babysitter
A family dog tipped off the parents of an infant that his babysitter was abusive.
- Dog tries to save fish
An adorable video of a dog in Thailand trying to save beached fish by splashing them with water.
- DogTime’s top 10 dog news stories in 2013
What were the most-read news stories on DogTime.com in 2013? Find out with our year-end wrap up.
- Dogs and fireworks: An uneasy combo
How to keep your pets safe and stress-free when the fireworks start this 4th of July.
- Dogs and porcupines
What to do if you visit the woods and your dog gets stuck by porcupine quills.
- Dominance: Dog training's dirty word
There may be no surer way to stir up a group of dog trainers than to bring up dominance training....
- Five more signs your dog loves you
When is puppy love the real thing? Here are 5 more signs your dog truly adores you.
- How dogs perceive time -- and how they're affected by our absence
This article courtesy of woofreport.com. Woof Report answered the question of how dogs perceive time...
- How to stop dogs from destructive chewing
Is your dog's chewing out of control? Learn how to redirect your dog's destructive chewing.
- Interview with Barkeigh's Haywood Perry
Haywood PerryBarkleigh ProductionsWashington, D.C. What's the best dog toy? A rope toy or a Kong,...
- Interview with dog trainer Sandra Payne Green
Sandra Payne GreenTrainerChapel Hill, North Carolina What's the best dog toy? The Kong. What mistake...
- Intro to housetraining
Learn the foolproof way to house train your dog from renowned veterinarian, Dr. Ian Dunbar.
- Is your dog your child?
- January is National Train Your Dog Month
January is National Train Your Dog Month, and here’s how to start on raising an obedient pooch.
- Kids at the dog park
Do kids belong in an off-leash dog park? Read a frequent park visitor’s perspective.
- New dog? No worries!
There's nothing easy about those first few weeks at home with your new dog except--maybe--knowing...
- Officer-involved tragedy
Will specialized dog training for police officers keep canines from being shot?
- Police file report after dog shoplifts from store
A dog in Clinton, South Carolina, was caught shoplifting from a local Dollar General store.
- Postal workers urge dog owners to remember National Dog Bite Prevention Week
May 19 through May 25 is National Dog Bite Prevention Week — keep humans and canines safe.
- Raising a dog-friendly dog
The rewards of raising a dog-friendly dog will last a lifetime. Whether through playdates or
- Raising a people-friendly dog
Want a people-friendly dog who is a joy to have around your family and friends?
- Researchers confirm dogs like to work for their treats
Studies show dogs like to earn their treats through work rather getting them for nothing.
- Separation anxiety in dogs
Does your pup go into panic mode whenever you leave the house? She may be suffering from
- Slow-motion dog body shake
Interesting slow-motion video footage of several dogs and puppies doing a body shake.
- Speaking dog
A short guide that shows how certain actions toward the pooch may result in averse reactions.
- Tackling leash aggression
Leash aggression is an extremely common behavior issue faced by many dog-loving owners. You start...
- Teaching old dogs new tricks
It is never too late to teach an old dog new tricks! If you adopt an adult or even a senior dog,...
- The dirt on dogs who dig
Dogs dig for different reasons. Learn why dogs dig and how to curb your dog's digging behavior.
- The dog trainer's trainer
Chances are you've heard of Cesar Millan, Hollywood's famous dog whisperer. In recent years, he's...
- The truth about dogs (and cats)
Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks: Five myths about dogs and facts that counter them.
- Top 10 tricks kids can teach dogs
Come, stay, bring leash, and other commands that children over 8 can teach dogs.
- Top ways to spend the holiday season with pets
Six ways to keep your pets safe and entertained during the chaotic holiday season.
- Training with reinforcement
Positive and negative reinforcement have become buzz words for animal behaviorists, but they are...
- Treating and preventing pet bites
Different ways to treat, and prevent, an animal bite delivered to a human or pet.
- Treating noise anxiety in dogs
When young children hear a scary noise at night, they often run to their parents. The response is...
- Vaccinate your pets for World Rabies Day 2013
World Rabies Day is September 28, and its goal is to build awareness about the deadly disease.
- What to do when your dog gets skunked
Here’s what to do if your dog gets sprayed by a skunk, including homemade cures.
- What's worrying the modern dog?
The psychological unraveling of Monty, an eight-year-old McNab mix, began with a trip out of...
- Your dog's mental and physical fitness
Dogs require mental and physical stimulation and here's how to achieve both.
- “Please ask to pet me”
An advocacy column that shows the importance of asking to pet a strange dog.
Dog behavior Experts Questions and Answers
latest news & articles
offers from our sponsors