If you want to feel like you've made a real difference as a dog owner, adopt a dog from a shelter or rescue group. There are few other ways to make such a huge difference in another creature's life.
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) estimates as 6 to 8 million dogs and cats are surrendered to shelters each year. Of those animals, about half are adopted, and half are euthanized. There are simply more dogs than there are good homes for them (one reason why spaying and neutering is so important).
Most read stories in this section
- 25 celebrities who adopted a dog from a shelter or rescue
A list of 25 celebrities who adopted their dog from an animal shelter or rescue.
- Your Valentine may have four legs
Best Friends Animal Society has an adoption deal on dogs and cats for Valentine’s Day.
All stories in this section
- "Puppies sale?" Consider adoption.
Instead of looking for "puppies sale" on the Internet, take a look at your local shelter.
- A case for adult dogs
Learn the truth about adult shelter dogs and give these, loving, loyal dogs a second look.
- A dog like that
A shelter worker shares her insights as to what people look for in an adoptable dog.
- Adopt a dog or cat for the 4th of July
A list of 27 dogs and cats available for adoption over the 4th of July holiday weekend.
- Adoption or animal trafficking?
Diseases like rabies and animal trafficking are some of the concerns about networking adoptions.
- Baseball legend Tony La Russa's true passion: animal rescue
When the time comes to memorialize Tony La Russa, they'll say he's one of the greats. He leads a...
- Before you adopt, think about...
Where to go, what to look for, and what to ask if you're thinking of adopting a dog.
- Being a pet parent may cut risk of heart disease
A new report from the American Heart Association reveals the health benefits of pet ownership.
- Best dog pictures of 2013
A look at the best images and most moving dog stories of 2013 in our retrospective.
- Blind Golden Retriever puppy steals hearts
A blind Golden Retriever named Ray Charles has become an Internet sensation.
- Buying is not rescue
An advocacy column about how paying cash for a pet at retail is not a “rescue.”
- Celebrities and their rescue dogs
President-elect Barack Obama and his wife Michelle made national news when they announced they...
- City council’s win for the animals — Phoenix: 1, puppy mills: 0
The Phoenix city council voted to ban the sale of puppy and kitten mill animals in pet stores.
- Community bands together to care for abandoned dog
A homeless American Pit Bull Terrier in Hemet, California, is close to being adopted.
- Consumer alert: Christmas puppies
Every holiday season brings its share of must-have gifts. What other time of year do people...
- Contact RescueGroups
Gain some much needed exposure for your shelter's pets by adding them to DogTime's adoptable list.
- Deaf shelter dog learns sign language and finds forever home
A deaf Pit Bull, who was taught sign language by a shelter volunteer, was adopted by a deaf human.
- Dispelling shelter dog myths: Myth #1
The first biggest misconception about shelter dogs: Something’s wrong with them.
- Dispelling shelter dog myths: Myth #2
The second myth about shelter dogs, how they are raised, is debunked in our four-part series.
- Dispelling shelter dog myths: Myth #3
The third myth about shelter dogs, and not being able to find exactly what you want.
- Dispelling shelter dog myths: Myth #4
The last entry on shelter dog myths debunks the notion rescues and shelters are "too depressing."
- Dog rescued from trash heap makes miraculous recovery
Hope for Paws took an abandoned Siberian Husky, Miley, and nursed her back to health.
- Dog rescued in Hurricane Katrina still looking for a home
A German Shepherd mix named Trina was found after Hurricane Katrina; she still needs a home.
- Finding a good dog breeder
If a shelter pup just won't work for you, knowing how to find a reputable breeder is paramount
- Finding a puppy: Picking the right breed of dog
There are many things to consider when choosing a puppy, including which breed or type, and the optimal...
- Finding a puppy: When to bring your puppy home
Aside from the obvious answer-not before you are ready-the time to get a dog is when you have completed...
- Finding the right dog for you
Dogs bring years of joy and companionship, but they are also a big responsibility. Before you bring...
- Finding the right family-friendly dog for you
Let us help you learn how to choose the dog that will blend perfectly with your family.
- Four things only people with rescue dogs will understand
Four ways a human's world will change forever with the adoption of a rescue dog.
- From homeless to hopeful
Documented story of two Poodles who were found abandoned at a junkyard and then rescued.
- Help, there's a dog in my house!
Your house has been puppy-proofed for a week--not a crayon on the floor, no poisonous fiddle-leaf...
- Holiday puppies: A nightmare after Christmas?
- Honesty is the best policy for dog adoptions
This is what happens when shelter personnel try and have fun with an adoptable listing.
- Hurricane survivor Trina finds her forever home
A survivor of Hurricane Katrina finds a forever home after 8 years in a shelter.
- Is your dog your child?
- Japan’s Wow Wow Dog Circus teaches kids about shelter dogs
The Wow Wow Circus in Japan entertains and educates audiences about shelter pups.
- Junkyard Beagle rescued after 3 years
A Beagle who had been living in a junk yard for three years is available for adoption.
- Just regular dogs
A look of the phenomenon of people deliberately seeking out abused dogs to adopt.
- Kentucky dog with two noses finds forever home
A dog named Snorkle, who was born with two noses, has found a forever home in Kentucky.
- Kentucky shelter needs help after facility and animals are lost in fire
The Knox-Whitley Animal Shelter in Rockholds, Kentucky, was destroyed by a fire on November 29.
- My friend didn't adopt! Dear Labby's advice
- National Shelter Appreciation Week 2013
National Shelter Appreciation Week — find out how you can help your local animal facility.
- New dog? No worries!
There's nothing easy about those first few weeks at home with your new dog except--maybe--knowing...
- November is National Adopt a Senior Pet Month
Throughout the month of November, rescues and shelters will promote adopting senior pets.
- October is (National) Adopt a (Shelter) Dog Month
October is National Adopt a Shelter Dog Month and Adopt a Dog Month, to promote shelter dogs.
- Older dogs rule
If you're thinking about dog adoption, check-out the many benefits of adopting an adult dog.
- Olympic medal-winning skier adopts shelter dog with bad knee
Olympic skier Lindsey Vonn adopted Leo, a Boxer-mix dog from a Florida animal shelter.
- Philadelphia rescue hopes family adopts blind dog and his loving brother
Two sibling dogs, one of which is blind, are available for adoption in Philadelphia.
- Plumbing company fixes pipes, saves puppies
A plumbing company in Chicago runs a rescue organization that saves abused dogs.
- Proposed Illinois bill would put rescue pets at risk
A proposed Illinois bill would force private shelters/rescues to surrender animals after 24 hours.
- Purebred or mixed breed?
Dogs fall into one of two groups: mixed breeds and purebreds. Purebreds generally conform to a specific...
- Pursuit of Dog I: Single man seeks love of life (with tail)
Dagoberto Aceves is dreaming of dogs. He fantasizes about a warm furball dozing under his desk at...
- Pursuit of Dog II: Man meets his dog matches
Dagoberto Aceves is looking for a dog, and he's asked DogTime for help. He's already taken our...
- Pursuit of Dog III: The road to canine love can be bumpy
Dagoberto Aceves, a 25-year-old web developer from Alameda, California, has been thinking about...
- Pursuit of Dog IV: Bringing home Maggie
Dago Aceves has just met the dog he wants to bring home. Her name is Maggie and she's a red-haired...
- Rescue group and two families fight over fate of lost dog
A family lost their dog, only to discover another family adopted the pooch and won’t return her.
- Rescue group saves abandoned dogs in the Everglades
The 100+ Abandoned Dogs of Everglades Florida rescues animals in the Sunshine State.
- Rescue me! Your pet rescue donation resource
- Saving lives starts with support, not shame
Innovative animal-care outreach programs help pets without being judgmental.
- Scare tactics, safety, and free to a good home
An advocacy column that examines scare tactics, safety, and the free to a good home stigma.
- Seeing-eye dog gets home just in time for the holidays
A former seeing-eye dog, who went blind, was adopted just in time for Christmas.
- Seeing-eye pup and blind brother are flourishing at new home
Two Pit Bull-Labrador mixed-breed dogs, who are best friends, have found a forever home.
- Seven adoptable dogs for Father’s Day
A list of seven dogs with a name that a variation on “father” for Father’s Day.
- Shelter dog saves life of another, needs new home of her own
In the U.K., a shelter dog on a walk found a starving, homeless pooch at the bottom of a ditch.
- Sheltering strays at the Animal Rescue League of El Paso
On the way to her stepfather's funeral, Loretta Hyde - a grandmother herself - shouted to her...
- Sochi dogs arrive at U.S. shelter
Animals who were adopted by U.S. athletes and other Americans in Sochi, are arriving stateside.
- Study results: Adopt or purchase a pet?
Do pet owners prefer purebreds to shelter dogs and cats? Read PetSmart survey results.
- Teaching old dogs new tricks
It is never too late to teach an old dog new tricks! If you adopt an adult or even a senior dog,...
- The Obama Dog Page
Major issues await President-elect Barack Obama when he moves into the White House on January 20,...
- The heart of Mike Arms – and the brains behind Iams Home 4 the Holidays
When Mike Arms left the farm of his boyhood and set out for the big city, he imagined life as a...
- The trouble with puppies
Puppies are cute but will you be able to invest the immense amount of time it takes to raise her?
- Thinking about fostering an adoptable cat or dog?
What's involved in being a foster parent for a dog or cat from a shelter or rescue.
- Thinking about getting a dog?
Before you adopt, consider the time, money, and commitment that comes with owning a dog.
- Top 10 things every responsible rescue should offer
The top 10 things to look for in a responsibly run animal rescue organization.
- Tourists, including Olympic athletes, adopt Sochi’s stray dogs
Several Olympic competitors are adopting the stray dogs in Sochi at the Winter Games.
- UPDATE: Adoption of dog with two noses fell through
Shunned and unwanted, demand for a dog with a birth defect skyrocketed after his story went viral.
- Volunteer camps out in kennel to find shelter dog a home
A Kentucky woman lived in a kennel with a dog in order to help the animal get adopted.
- Want a dog? Go for it!
The benefits of having a dog are overwhelming and undeniable. Start with your ego. A dog does...
- Want a dog? Hold on!
Nobody relishes the company of dogs more than we do. But before you take plunge, we think it's...
- What you're getting into when you get a dog
Before you adopt, STOP! Before bringing that new puppy home, learn exactly what to expect.
- When misperceptions cost lives
A response to “Why I’d Never Adopt a Shelter Dog Again,” which appeared in the Washington Post.
- Why I chose a mutt
- Why I chose a purebred
- Why mandatory spay and neuter laws don't work
Mandating that everyone spay and neuter their pets will not work to stop overpopulation.
- Why pets are good for kids
Dogs and other animals can help children cope with a variety of ailments like depression, emotional...
- Woman rents billboard to promote adult dogs
A woman in Stockton, California, takes out a billboard to encourage older dog adoption.
- “Free” abandoned dog finds forever home
A woman plans to adopt an abandoned dog with “I need a home” written on her body.
- “Pile of trash” transforms into a dog
Slide show of a small dog covered in matted hair who makes an amazing transformation.
Dog Adoption Experts Questions and Answers
latest news & articles
offers from our sponsors