Poodle hybrids are gaining in popularity: In addition to the Labradoodle (above), is the Maltipoo, Cockapoo, and other “-poo” mixes.
Dog breeds are among the most-searched items on DogTime.com. Here are the top pure- and mixed-dog breeds readers (that’s you) were looking for in 2013. Almost half of the dogs from the 2012 top 10 list were replaced this year, so the number-one choice may surprise you. Here they are — in ascending order:
8. Chihuahua: The world’s smallest dog, these pint-sized pooches love nothing more than being close to their owners; although they have big personalities, they’re small dogs who can injure easily. (2012 rank: 24)
7. Boxer: Originally bred to be a guard dog, this working pooch is renowned for his undying love and loyalty to his family…in addition to possessing a playful, clownish side. (2012 rank: 28)
5. Bichon Frise: Often mistaken for a Poodle, the Bichon is almost always white, with black eyes and a black nose, and he’s ready to play — with a gentle and affectionate demeanor. (2012 rank: 4)
4. Shih Tzu: Bred to be a companion, the pint-sized ST is good-natured and friendly; the distinctive way his facial hair grows in all directions has been described as a flower with the dog’s nose as the center. (2012 rank: 5)
3. Labrador Retriever: Called America’s favorite dog, the Lab does it all: hunter’s companion, field retriever, show dog, working dog…but overall, he’s a loyal friend and companion. (2012 rank: 9)