When it comes to the question, “Can dogs eat grapes?” there is a simple answer. It’s an unequivocal NO. Raisins and grapes are very toxic for all dog breeds.
It’s important for dog owners to know what foods are toxic to dogs. It can be a matter of life and death. Dog parents should be extremely careful about feeding their dogs anything they are unsure about because some foods can cause serious harm and even death.
Here’s what you should know about grapes and dogs.
Why Are Grapes So Toxic To Dogs?
The science on why grapes are toxic for dogs isn’t conclusive, and the exact substance that causes harm has not been discovered.
What we do know is that even a small amount of grapes can cause death for some dogs in the form of kidney failure. Grapes and raisins have the potential to cause serious harm to your dog and, therefore, should be avoided at all times.
Grapes and raisins can affect different dogs differently. For some dogs, a large amount may not cause any significant harm whereas, for other dogs, a tiny amount can produce an adverse reaction. The reason for these different reactions is still not fully known and scientists are currently conducting tests to figure out the full details.
What If Your Dog Eats Grapes?
Under no circumstances should you feed your dogs grapes or raisins, as even a small amount could cause significant harm to your dog. However, sometimes dogs eat foods they aren’t supposed to, and you should learn the symptoms of a bad reaction to grapes just in case.
Some dogs feel the effects more strongly than others. While some dogs may experience no visible symptoms after eating grapes or raisins, others can have grave health consequences. There’s really no way to determine how your dog will react to grapes, so it’s best to avoid them completely.
If you suspect your dog has consumed grapes, you should look out for the signs and symptoms that can occur after ingestion. The common symptoms of a toxic reaction to grapes include the following:
- Appetite loss
- Reduced urination
If you spot any of these symptoms and suspect a toxic reaction has occurred, you should immediately take your dog to the vet. Going without treatment can potentially put your dog at risk for kidney failure.
Even if your dog has eaten grapes before without issue, it’s still not safe. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones. Adverse reactions could still happen the next time they eat grapes, regardless of the amount. It’s just not worth the risk. There is just no safe amount of grapes you can feed a dog.
If you want to take the guesswork out of what foods your dog can eat, you should try ordering fresh, custom meals for your dog delivered to your door from NomNomNow! Click here to get 20% off your first order!
Do you know any alternate fruits that are actually safe to share with dogs? Let us know in the comments below!
DogTime participates in the NomNomNow affiliate program to earn fees for linking to products on NomNomNow.