Top 10 constipation remedies
Saturday October 18th, 2008
Just like people, dogs can experience constipation which can make him uncomfortable and even cause him pain. The condition can usually be attributed to a lack of fiber in his diet or not drinking enough water during the day. Feeding your dog certain types of people food can also contribute to the problem. There are many options for treating constipation, we've listed just a few to get you started.
1. Pumpkin: Feeding your dog a little bit of pumpkin with his food is a great way to prevent and cure constipation. Pumpkin is high in water content and a great source of fiber. You can either puree fresh pumpkin or use canned pureed pumpkin. Take a look at our recipes for Pumpsicles, Pup-kin pie and Howl-o-ween cupcakes.
2. Supplements: There are natural supplements available that will aid in curing a dog's constipation. They usually contain additives such as acidophilus, folic acid, and vegetable enzymes. Check with your vet for recommendations.
3. Laxatives: If your vet advises it, a mild laxative may do the trick. Of course the amount will depend on the size and weight of your dog.
4. Enema: Your vet will tell you if this is an option he wants to pursue.
5. Milk of Magnesia: A small amount of Milk of Magnesia may be all that he needs but again, check with your vet first!
6. Bran (wheat & oat): Bran works as a preventative (much like pumpkin), when added to your dog's food regularly. Ask your vet for advice on how much to add. Try our recipe for Digger's Dream Muffins with oat bran.
7. Powdered psyllium seed: Psyllium seed pull water into the stool and help move it along.
8. Mineral oil: Mineral oil helps lubricate the stool.
9. Aloe Ferox: Aloe Ferox has a beneficial effect on digestive functioning and acts as a natural system cleanser and remedy.
10. Increased exercise: Increased exercise will massage internal organs and increase blood flow in the colon.
Be sure to visit our Dog Food Recipes section for lots of homemade dog treats!
latest news & articles
offers from our sponsors