From Achondroplasia to Zygote
Browse by Letter
Umbilical Hernia is a condition that is present at birth where abdominal fat or internal organs protrude against the abdominal wall near the umbilicus. If the hernia is small, it can be left without treatment. Some small hernias spontaneously close by the time the puppy is 6 months old and some dogs have lived with small hernias their entire lives without difficulty. Large hernias require surgery, which is often done when the dog is being spayed or neutered. Surgery is used to prevent a more serious condition where an intestine loop drops into the hernia causing life-threatening strangulation of the intestine.
Popular Dog Definitions
- A yearly vaccine once your puppy reaches adulthood that is administered to immunize your dog against (D)distemper, (H)hepatitis, (L) leptospirosis, (P)parainfluenza and...
- The smallest of part on the sternum it is a piece of cartilage that runs below the manubrium and gladiolus.
- When the inner side of the upper incisors meet the outer side of the lower incisors during a bite.
- A foot that resembles a hare's foot with the two center digits being longer than the inside and outside toes and a lack of arching in the toes resulting in the feet appearing...
- 1. The birth date of the litter 2. a estimated date that the litter is expected to be whelped. Breeders will often give estimated date to all puppy buyers on a waiting list.
- Also known as the Occipital Protuberance, it is the bony section of the skull that is located at the back of the topskull. It can create an unattractive bump if it is not...
- The placement, number and kind of teeth in a set. For a canine this includes the incisors, canines, premolars and molars, which number forty-two adult teeth.
- Also known as the pants, culottes or trousers, it is a term used to describe the longer fringe-like hair on the upper and lower thighs of some long-coated breeds.
- The estimated date that the dam will be delivering her puppies on.
- The fleshy part of the face near the mouth, this can include the lips, jaws and cheeks.