Rescued German Shepherd Bitten By Rattlesnake Saving Girl

Haus lies at the vet while Molly pets him

(Picture Credit: NBC News)

Haus, a two-year-old German Shepherd, hasn’t been part of his new family for long. He was adopted about two months ago from Heidi’s Legacy Dog Rescue in Florida. But it didn’t take him long to take to his new home. He takes care of the kids, he bonds with everyone, and even the neighbors love him. In fact, he already proved he’s willing to put his life on the line for his rescuers when he saved Molly, his seven-year-old-girl, from a rattlesnake.

Haus plays by the pool with the kids

(Picture Credit: NBC News)

Molly and her grandmother were in the backyard when Haus stood in front of them by the bushes, staring at something. But when they saw blood, they knew something was wrong. The pup had positioned himself between Molly and a rattlesnake, taking the bites that might have killed her or her grandma. He was bitten three times on the leg, but he refused to back down. Haus’s family rushed the hero dog to the vet, but he was in rough shape.

Molly pets Haus at the vet

(Picture Credit: NBC News)

The snake had injected so much venom that the vet put Haus on an IV drip of anti-venom, even though it’s more common to only give one or two doses. But Haus had a will to live, and he wanted to go on loving and protecting his family. Now, he’s expected to make a full recovery. A GoFundMe page has raised over $50K for his bills. The family intends to donate the remaining money to the rescue where Haus came from, as well as other shelters, in the hopes that they will help raise awareness about the benefits of adopting adult dogs.

Would your dog protect you from a rattlesnake? Are you glad to see Haus recovering so well? Let us know in the comments below!

Related Article:

Retired K-9 German Shepherd Dog Helps Firefighters Save Kids From Burning House