Whether a sign of genius, resourcefulness, or just plain chance, George is one lucky dog.
George, a 2-year-old Basset Hound from West Yorkshire, England, was home alone when he had somehow gotten himself tangled up in a phone cord. The cord wrapped itself around George’s neck so tightly that the poor pooch was almost unable to breathe.
So George the canine did what any human would do in a life or death situation: he pawed at the phone and, amazingly, called up emergency services.
In a panic, the Basset Hound had dialed “999,” the British equivalent of “911” here in the United States.
When emergency dispatchers picked up the call, they heard heavy, labored breathing. The operator on the line asked several questions, and upon receiving no answer apart from what sounded like someone struggling to take a breath, sent emergency responders to the scene.
When paramedics arrived moments later, and the house where the call had originated appeared empty. Right as the responders were preparing to break down the front door, neighbor Paul Walker ran up with a key to the house.
The group ran through the house, expecting to find a human in distress; instead, they found a choking Basset Hound, phone cord cinched tightly around his throat, next to the very phone the dog had used to call for help.
“He was absolutely terrified and could not free himself,” Walker said, describing George’s predicament.
Rushing to the panicking dog’s aid, Walker removed the cord, saving George.
“Incredibly you could see where his paw print was on the phone to ring 999 – he literally saved his own life,” Walker told The Sun.
George’s owners, Steve Brown and his daughter, Lydia, are relieved that their best friend is safe and sound, but also stunned by George’s quick thinking in a crisis. “We still don’t know how he managed it,” Lydia Brown said. “It’s one of those old-fashioned phones with the dialing ring.”
“He’s not usually very smart,” Lydia added of her buddy George. “He’s really dopey and just likes to chew socks.”