Last week was the 50th anniversary of Poison Prevention Week, but pets are more susceptible to ingesting toxic substances than humans are. According to Poisonprevention.org, more than 90 percent of all poisonings occur within the home.
In 2011, more than 165,000 phone calls were fielded by the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center regarding pets exposed to dangerous substances.
The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) has released a pamphlet on everyday household products that can be deadly — if not outright fatal — to pets. These include common foods found in the kitchen, cleaning products, over-the-counter and prescription medication, soaps, paints, plants, insecticides, and more. The ASPCA has also released its own list of deadly 2011 pet toxins.