National Pit Bull Awareness Month: 10 ways to celebrate
October is National Pit Bull Awareness Month — hooray! Can’t figure out the best way to celebrate? Check out my recommendations and submit your own suggestions...
10 Ways to Celebrate Pit Bulls
7. Refrain from attempting to elevate Pit Bulls by soiling the perception of another breed, a la “Everyone knows so-and-sos are the worst biters.” When dogs of any makeup get the right training, care, and socialization, chances are excellent they grow up to be confident, gentle animals. There's no gain by shifting an undeserved rep somewhere else.
6. Beware the media! (I can say that because some of my best friends are writers and bloggers.) They love sensational stories that demonize particular types of… well, you name it. Demons sell!
4. Check out the latest posts at a few of the finest blogs.
3. Get a Pit Bull tattoo. (Just kidding, Mom!) (Or am I…?)
2. Extend your non-biased open-mindedness to other people. I present a twitter post from May 6, 2009 (yeah, I used to tweet — whatever): “Mean-looking” guy at the park notices Maybe and says, "Pit Bulls are great dogs. Just gotta treat em right." Note to self: be less judgy.
1. Extend your non-bias to other animals. There is no breed, species, or being who deserve to suffer. They’re alive? They can feel. You wanna debate whether the ant is as sentient as the orangutan? Go somewhere else. Pretend for a minute — or forever — we are all here with the same purpose: a life worthy of respect and compassion.
Oh, and don't forget to do all 10 on October 27, National Pit Bull Awareness Day. Happy celebrating...
latest news & articles
offers from our sponsors