Considering a Golden Retriever? While every dog is an individual, it can’t hurt to know a few things about the breed’s reputation before deciding to make one part of your family. For the Golden in a nutshell, check out our list of highlights below. And for an-depth look at the history and personality of this type of dog, take a look at our Golden Retriever breed profile.
Goldens… the good stuff
- These dogs are exceptionally affectionate and people oriented. Typically, they want nothing more than to hang out with their human family.
- Great with kids and friendly toward strangers and other dogs, Goldens are a good choice for first-time dog owners.
- Golden Retrievers are intelligent and like to please, making them relatively easy to train.
Goldens… don’t say we didn’t warn you
- Some Goldens don’t do well with long stretches by themselves and should not be left alone for hours on end.
- Golden Retrievers are highly energetic and quite playful. They require a lot of exercise to be kept happy (not to mention, manageable).
- Goldens can be mouthy. Start training bite inhibition early.
- Did we mention there may be some drooling issues?
There are Golden Retriever rescue groups across the country who would love to help you find the right dog for you!