Considering a Maltese? While every dog is an individual, it can’t hurt to know a few things about the breed’s reputation before deciding to make one part of your family. For the Maltese in a nutshell, check out our list of highlights below. And for an-depth look at the history and personality of this type of dog, take a look at our Maltese breed profile.
Maltese… the good stuff
- These dogs are exceptionally gentle and affectionate. Typically, they desire nothing more than to hang out with their human family.
- Maltese dogs are generally well-suited to apartment living.
- Though long-haired, the Maltese is not a big shedder.
- In general, Maltese like to stick close to home. Chasing after prey or wandering into the neighbor’s yard will probably not be a big issue.
- Maltese are intelligent and like to please, making them relatively easy to train.
Maltese… don’t say we didn’t warn you
- The Maltese’s long hair can become easily matted. Regular brushing is recommended.
- Like many breeds, Malteses don’t do well with long stretches by themselves. They should not be left alone for hours on end.
- Maltese are quick to chill in colder climates. Make sure yours stays warm during the winter months.
- Maltese can be barkers.